[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Ha'on

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 4 06:18:47 PST 2016

qunnoq
> Ca'non master :
>> adverbials, time stamps and place stamps should go at the beginning of
>> their clause, which is not necessarily the beginning of the sentence.

E.g.

jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
Did you think that my word of honor would have carried me this far? (PB)

>> (There are one or two subtle variations, but you shouldn't confuse
>> yourself with those now.)
>
> Now I'm curious. Could you at least share an example of these variations?

Compare these:

DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
 lurSa' be'etor je.
The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
 seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
 High Council.  (S26)

SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
I see now, I have failed to raise my son a man  (PB)

> I'll check out the Klingon curses too; thanks for the links!

If you find my article posted anywhere else, let me know and I'll add the URLs to my notes for the next time someone asks.  Thanks.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'