[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIymuS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 3 08:07:52 PST 2016

qunnoq:
>>> SImItar nuHwIj'e' qaquvmoHbogh, rIymuSDaq qachenmoH 'ej jaghpu'
>>>  tIqDaq yan'e' SoH vIghoSbogh.
>>> Scimitar my honored weapon, at Remus I created you, and you are
>>>  the sword which I will thrust at the heart of my enemies.

SuStel:
> SImItar, nuHwIj quv
> Scimitar, my honored weapon

As you're addressing your ship in elevated style, this is a good place to use the vocative particle {'o}:

  'o 'oghlu'meH qul
  "O for a Muse of fire" [KCD, from the prologue to "Henry V")

  'o meQ qul!  'o meQ chal!
  (KCD, opening of the opera {qul tuq})

  'o qeylIS, qeylIS...
  O Kahless, Kahless... ('u'-OPERA)

So, {'o SImtar, nuHwIj quv, ...}.  I've also Klingonized the ship's name a bit.  There's no need for a precise phonetic transcription all the time (though who knows what the actual Romulan/Reman name is!).

SuStel:
>> You're trying too hard. :)
>>
>> jaghpu'wI' tIq vIDuQ qayantaHvIS
>> I stab my enemies' heart(s?) while wielding you

SuStel already caught this, but I thought I'd comment that {ghoS} "thrust, follow a course, proceed, come toward, approach" refers to ships, rockets, engines and the like:

  Duj ghoStaH nuq
  What is coming toward the ship? TKD

  'entepray' yIghoS
  Bear on Enterprise! ST5

  nom yIghoSqu'
  Maximum speed. ST5

For thrust at the heart, {DuQ} "stab" is good if you're piercing/stabbing into something:

  ghIq QavwI'chaj DuQchu' qeylIS betleH chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw
  Then Kahless's bat'leth pierced the last of them, showered with
   the soldiers' blood. (PB)

  tIqDu'Daj DuQqu'meH qeylIS ma'veq cha' 'etlhmey jop
   [translation not available] (PB)

If you haven't actually penetrated you enemy's chest, there are a couple of other sword-related verbs to consider depending on the image you have in mind:  {chaQ} "thrust upward with end of bat'leth"

KGT 60:  To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}."

and {jop} "lunge, thrust":

KGT 59:  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}...

KGT 115:  This idiom [{jop 'ej way'}], which means "have an argument", is based on movements associated with the bat'leth. During the course of a bout, both parties, among other things, alternately lunge ({jop}), that is, push the bat'leth toward the opponent, and deflect ({way'}), or use the bat'leth to push the oncoming one away.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'