[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: verb-verb SAO

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Mon Feb 1 12:35:39 PST 2016

> > jIghelbe'choHlaHbe'
>
> hmm.. interesting.. how would I approach this ? lets see..
>
> If I take this from the end backwards, it could be " I am not able to
> be/become" ; then comes the {jIghelbe'} which I would translate <I don't
> ask>. So, putting the two together this could mean <I'm not able to
> be/become (that) I don't ask>. I *feel* the meaning coming through.
> What would be the exact translation though ?

It's not about you becoming something. It's about a change in the action.

jIghel = I ask
jIghelbe' = I don't ask
jIghelchoH = I transition from asking to not asking, i.e. I start asking OR I change my questioning tactics. It's going to be understood as starting to ask, unless you make it clear that you were already asking.

tawDaq vum wIqop. puHDujmajDaq maba'taHvIS loQ vIyu' 'a jangQo'mo' jIghelchoH. ghaHvaD taj vI'ang 'ej HughDaj mej'aD vIDel. jangchoH.
(taj vI'angpa' jIghel, 'ach vI'angmo' jIghelchoH. bIyaj'a'?)

jIghelbe'choH = I change to not asking, I transition from asking to not asking.
jIghelbe'choHlaH = I can transition from asking to not asking OR I begin to be able to not ask
jIghelbe'choHlaHbe' = I am not able to transition to not asking.  OR I become unable to not ask.

- Qov