[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: verb-verb SAO

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:54:59 PST 2016

I think I am missing a few emails for some reason, to get from qunnoq's
question to Qov's response.

What I think Qov is pointing out is the use of -choH to solve qunnoq's
question. For what it's worth, the sentence {taghwI' pabpo' vIghel 'e'
vImevlaHbe'} seems like a reasonable sentence in that it is grammatical and
gets the point across. But using -choH to signal the change in the verb is
more concise (always good for Klingon) and is a fuller engagement with the
grammar. (I sort of want to say that it is "*more* grammatical.") We've got
all those suffixes, why not use them to the fullest!

I don't want to digress too far into the murky waters of English grammar;
but,  I will point out regarding qunnoq's original question that this is a
good example of an area where Klingon and English behave differently.
Phrases like "I like eating" are made with gerunds -- "eat" has been turned
into a noun with the -ing ending. Klingon has something like this, the
seldomly seen -ghach ending. But we don't go throwing -ghach around just
anywhere. Instead, Klingon requires two verbs-that-are-still-acting-like
verbs and 'e'. EXCEPT, of course, as Qov points out, when we have other
suffixes that cover the intended meaning.

'arHa