[Tlhingan-hol] Easter

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 21 11:06:23 PDT 2016

On 4/21/2016 1:53 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> {lIb} “be impending, imminent, loom” is perfect,

Yes, this was a word I wasn't aware of. It fits the bill nicely, though
perhaps it has more of a teetering-on-the-edge feel to it, based on the
English translations.

> but I think {-choHlI’} is redundant.   The quality {lIb} either is or
> isn’t applicable in the present.  What’s the difference between
> “Christmas is imminent” vs. “Christmas is drawing near”?  Just keep it
> simple:
>
>   lIb QISmaS.
>
>  tugh qaS QISmaS.
>
> (BTW that’s one of my pet peeves:  People use far too many suffixes in
> an attempt to mirror the temporal subtleties of English verbs.)

*lIbchoHlI'* isn't just redundant: it doesn't mean just /imminent./ It
is something more like /progressing toward starting to be imminent/ or
/starting to progress toward being imminent./ Or something.

http://trimboli.name