[Tlhingan-hol] Easter

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 21 09:08:45 PDT 2016

mayqel qunenoS :
> hmm.. very interesting thoughts; so, if I understand correctly, one
> cannot actually use the verb {chol} to express that a holiday/event
> approaches, qar'a'? and if that is the case, which verb can he actually
> use?

AFAIK we have only one example of {chol} "close in, get closer, come nearer":

  chollI'
  It is getting closer. TKD

Okrand comments:

TKD 42:  If a missile is getting closer, but its intended destination is not known, {choltaH} (with {-taH} "continuous") would be more appropriate.

It's antonym seems to be {DoH} "back away from, back off, get away from".  We also have {Duv} "advance" (no examples) and {tlhetlh} "progress" (no examples) so it's unknown whether you can use this with events/holidays/etc.

I would say {nom qaS} "it happens (will happen) soon".  You could also use the verbs {Dor} "end", {van} "end (an event)", {ghang} "end (an event) prematurely", {tagh} "begin a process" or {lop} "celebrate".

We have an example from Okrand WRT birthdays:

  tugh Dor qoSlIj. nom yIlop!
  (MO's untranslated FaceBook post to Lieven, 3/29/12)

> I wrote {*rabbits* Doqqu' 'ej wov} meaning "pink rabbits". is my use of
> {Doqqu' 'ej wov} correct? I mean, does it indeed behave as "a single
> item", being placed after the noun it describes?

  SuD Dargh 'ej wov
  The tea is {SuD} and light. (KGT) = sentence

  SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
  the tea that is {SuD} and light (KGT) = phrase

You can also replace {'ej} with {'ach}.  For exemple to refer to a yellowish tinge:

  SuD 'ej wov
  (it) is {SuD} and light  (KGT)

  SuD 'ach wov
  (it) is] {SuD} but light (is also heard) KGT

So all together:

  Doq RABBITmey 'ej wov.
  The rabbits are {Doq} and light.

  muchollI' Doqbogh RABBITmey 'ej wovbogh.
  The pink rabbits are getting closer (are approaching me).

BTW I would Drop {-qu'}.  If they are pink how can they be {Doqqu'} "very {Doq}?  If they are an intense shade of {Doq} you can replace {wov} "be light" with {Hurgh} "be dark".

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'