[Tlhingan-hol] Easter

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Apr 22 06:12:51 PDT 2016

On 4/22/2016 8:40 AM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv wrote:
> I’m completely with you on {lIblI'}. The event is progressing toward
> an endpoint of being imminent.

That's not what *-lI'* does to the verb. It makes it mean that being
imminent is ongoing and progressing toward an endpoint. Being imminent
is not the endpoint.

Compare *vIlI'lI'* /I am transmitting (the data)./ There is no event
progressing toward an endpoint of transmitting; transmitting is ongoing
until an endpoint is reached.

> Meanwhile, I find {lIbchoH} to be odd, simply because being imminent
> already implies a change of state. Something is about to happen.
> Happening is a change of state.

Being imminent implies a change of state coming in the future, but
something that is imminent hasn't changed state yet. *lIbchoH* means
/changes state from not being imminent to being imminent./

> After all, there is a verb {choH} meaning “change”. {choHchoH} is
> similarly odd. If you begin to change, haven’t you already changed?

Not necessarily. Some changes of state take time to complete. Picture a
caterpillar changing into a butterfly. First it *choHchoH* /begins to
change./ Then it *choHlI'* /is in the process of changing./ Finally it
*choHpu'* /has changed./

> You could argue that {choHchoH} points to the beginning instant of
> changing, while {choHlI’} can point to the full range of changing out
> to, but not including, the last instant of change, but my whole point
> is that pointing to the first instant of change gets to be like the
> ancient Greek argument about how my hand can’t ever touch this wall
> because if I move half the distance between my hand’s current position
> to the wall and repeat this process forever, I will never actually
> touch the wall.

You're applying metaphysics to a linguistic process. It's not relevant.

http://trimboli.name