[Tlhingan-hol] Expressing instrumentality

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:45:47 PDT 2016

'arHa':
> 'aqnaw lo'taHvIS, HoH. - While using a general-purpose knife, she killed him.

I disagree with that sentence. The way I read it, this means :

"while she was using the knife (to do whatever), she killed him". It
doesn't necessarily express that she used the knife in order kill him.
the {-taHvIS} expresses that "while something is happening" ; it
doesn't express purpose.

'arHa':
> The {lo'taHvIS} example covers your example of "We built the table with a hammer"

same here. we used the hammer for the purpose of building the table;
not while we were using the hammer we built the table.

mIv mop je Hurgh qunnoq