[Tlhingan-hol] Expressing instrumentality

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Apr 20 03:56:48 PDT 2016

Am 20.04.2016 um 08:45 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> I disagree with that sentence. The way I read it, this means :

That is right. There are slight differences in the meaning if you
reverse the word order:

{betleH vIlo'taHvIS HoD vIHoH}
"I killed the captain while using the bat'leth."
Sounds like "I was using my bat'leth for something else, and then
accidentally killed the captain"

{HoD vIHoHmeH betleH vIlo'}
"In order to kill the captain, I used the bat'leth"
This is clearer: "It was to kill the captain that I used my bat'leth."

{mupwI' vIlo'taHvIS raS vIchenmoH} sound like I accidentally built a
table while I was using my hammer to put a nail in the wall. :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh