[Tlhingan-hol] KLCP 1 vocab practice...

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 6 11:42:39 PDT 2016

yan       wield, use or manipulate a sword KGT (v)

(KGT 61):  There is also the verb {yan}, which means “wield or manipulate (a sword)”. A swordfighter, then, would be a {yanwI'}, literally “a sword wielder”); the word for the specific type of sword may be, but need not be, included. It is thus proper to say {betleH yanwI'} (bat'leth wielder) or {betleH yan} (He/she wields a bat'leth).

(KGT 79):  in addition to saying {betleH yan} (He/she wields a bat'leth), one could say {betleH raQ} (He/she controls a bat'leth).

N.B. for wielding axes and clubs use {Qach}.

yan       sword (n)

  (KGT 60f):  The word {'etlh} is used for sword in general, but it really means blade of any kind... Another word normally translated sword, {yan, is more specific, referring to swords (that is, weapons with long blades) only.

     chaHvaD nIb yan wIjwI' jan je
     They don't know how to distinguish a sword from
     a plough! (PB)

pun:
[Okrand] canonized the word {yan} from *Yan-Isleth* - an elite Klingon division charged with protecting the Klingon chancellor whom they guard at all times; i.e. it's his personal security force. (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising") - in Klingon Monopoly:

  Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
    You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect
    the chancellor. MKE

By coincidence, *yahn* means "edge of a sword" in Cantonese (pace lay'tel SIvten).