[Tlhingan-hol] New words needed

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 23:13:01 PDT 2015

ghItlhpu' Anthony, jatlh:
> I was going to answer "I would self-defenestrate - with a jetpack on". But
> I can't find a word for "(air-breathing) jetmotor" or "rocket" or "backpack".

For "rocket", {vIj} "thruster" is what you'd be looking for (and remember that it has the inherent plural {chuyDaH}).

taH:
> I have found "vey N [set|pack|package]", but I can't find a word for "man's
> or animal's back" to pair it with to make a word for "backpack".

{vey} doesn't mean "pack" in the sense of "backpack", but in the
sense of a pack of cards (that is, a set or assemblage of objects viewed
 as a unit). As for "back", the word you're looking for is {Dub} "back (of body)". It's on TKD p.85.

taH:
> All that I can come up with is {jIHDaq baghlu'bogh pengHom} = "[very]
> small torpedo tied onto me"; or {jIHDaq baghlu'bogh QuQHom}, but that
> does not specify what sort of motor.

The word order for these needs to be switched, since {pengHom} and {QuQHom} are the objects, not the subjects: for instance, {jIHDaq pengHom baghlu'bogh}.

{Dub chuyDaH} "back thrusters, thrusters on the back" might be a simplistic rendition, or {DubwIjDaq chuyDaH baghlu'bogh}.

QeS 'utlh