[Tlhingan-hol] thIngan Hol yejHaD Degh qun

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 14:13:49 PDT 2015

Comments below:

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably

> On Oct 31, 2015, at 4:15 AM, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Qo’.  tlhIngan Hol’e’ bopbe’. tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Degh neH bop.  yImugh SoH ‘ej bIQaghchugh nIQaH latlhpu’
> no. this does not concern the klingon language. it concerns the KLI symbol. you must translate it,and if you make mistakes they will help you another one (?).

You almost made it, right out to the end. The last sentence should be: “Translate it, and if you err, others will help you.”

The imperative prefix is not the same thing as the {-nIS} verb suffix, which is what you treated it as, and you mixed up the word order at the very end. None of this is to suggest that you are not doing remarkably well for someone who hasn’t been doing this for years.

> actually i started translating it,but i got lost along the way. here is what happened..
>
> > qen ghel qunnoQ HoD
> qunnoQ HoD recently asked
>
> > jatlh «ghorgh chen tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Degh 'ej chenmoH 'Iv?»
> he said when was the KLI logo created and who created it ?

It would make more sense with punctuation:

He said, “When was the KLI logo created, and who created it?"

> > jIjanglaH HolQeD veywIj vInuD.
> to be able to reply i examined and farmed my HolQeD package (?!?!?!) (i laughed so hard that tears came out of my eyes..)

I can answer. I examined my set of HolQeD.

I’m suspecting she might have intended to say:

jIjanglaHmeH HolQeD veywIj vInuD.

In order that I could answer, I examined my set of HolQeD.

> > De’ vISamta’ ‘a tlhIngan Hol’e’ bopbe’mo’ vImuchmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo’.
> when i accomplished finding the information,however because it does not concern the klingon language,i presented them the klingon language

I accomplished seeking and retrieving the information, but because it did not concern the Klingon language, I used Klingon language in order to present it.

[There’s an etiquette issue here. This email list is for things involving the Klingon language or using the Klingon language. She felt she would wander from this mission if she were to present it in English.]

> > tera’ DIS wa’SaD Hutvatlh HutmaH jav qep’a’Daq Degh chu’ ‘ang ‘angghal.
> earth years one thousand nine hundred nine ten (i guess 1990) at the sixth qep'a' the new symbol was newly jealously revealed

{HutmaH} or {Hut maH} is “ninety”. So, {tera’ DIS wa’SaD Hutvatlh HutmaH jav} is "Earth year 1996”. If she wanted to say, “at the sixth eep’a’”, she would have said {qep’a’ javDIchDaq}.

{‘angghal} is one of several names Lawrence Schoen has used over the years. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. “{‘angghal} presented the new symbol."

> >  chenmoH Dave Schaeffer
> Dave Schaeffer created it (now i understand how the past tense is made clear from the context)
>
> > qep’a’ jeyDaq Degh Deq lo’lu’, vaj qaStaHvIS qep’a’ much SeQ ta’law’ ‘angghal.
> at that qep'a the prior symbol was defeated, so it was occuring to happen at the qep'a' formal presentation by many was accomplished to be jealously revealed (i feel like an idiot)

{jey} is “itinerary”. So, “In the qep’a’ itinerary, the erstwhile symbol was used, thus while the qep’a’ happened, ‘angghal apparently accomplished the formal presentation.

> > vIqawbe’
> i do not remember it/them
>
> > chaq ngugh maHvaD Degh cha’bogh HumwI’mey lunoblu’ je.
> perhaps at that time for us the symbol which was displayed was made sticky they gave it also

Perhaps then the stickers which presented the symbol were also given to us.

[I will confess that I had to parse this one a few times before it made sense. It’s not a simple sentence.] {HumwI’} is something which is sticky. It’s a noun, not a verb.

> > QonoSwIj tIQDaq Deghmey Sar lulo’pu’bogh vImuch.
> my journal one of the various ancient symbols which they used and they presented.

In my ancient journal, I present the various symbols which had been used.