[Tlhingan-hol] Puns!

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 14:04:08 PDT 2015

While typing up the new words into my Lexique Pro database, I noticed some
more puns.

{yu'muD} = form (to be filled out)
For this one, I'd say 'questionnaire' might also be a fitting (albeit
non-canonical) translation... guess why.

{nIqDob} = perforator, hole punch
A tool for making holes into thin material... I was curious and googled for
"bodkin", have a look!

{Ha'on} = staple
It reads "Noah" backwards... well, Noah also always put two together,
somehow, but perhaps there is another person with that name. Maybe a Noah
Stapler, Noah Staples, something like that... I don't know.

{ghogh'ot} = bill
Hmm... an "invoice" is a kind of bill, too. {ghogh} means 'voice', maybe
*{'ot} should remind one of "out"... a voice-out? Any better idea?

{tenwal} = page
It reads "lawnet" backwards. Maybe there's a relation to that. I didn't
find much that directly relate to pages...

{'alnIl} = buckle (of a belt)
What sounds like "alnil" and has to do with belts? Hmm... think of Orion! :)

{Su'nIm} = profile (of a shoe, fingerprint, etc.)
It reads "minus" backwards. Maybe because the profile of a shoe is the
negative of the print it leaves in the mud?

{yang} = stamp's image
The Chinese word for the mark left by a stamp is "yin", but that word was
already taken. Well, such is life... ;)

{HeySel} = atom
The clue is: Belgium.

{qol'om} = gold
Someone had already suggested something for this, but when I saw it, I
thought of gold as a precious metal. Who else likes precious things more
than he should?

...there must be many more. Some look very much like puns, but didn't ring
a bell. Like the {wa'chaw / wev / war} triplet...

I really enjoyed the new word list!
- André