[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Sat Oct 31 12:02:05 PDT 2015

You may notice that even in English such sentences can get confusing and rambling.  In both English and Klingon it is much clearer to use short direct sentences and just use many of them.  However, in English very short sentences sound abrupt and dull.  In English we often try to go for a more medium length with closely related concepts together in one sentence, but breaking things into a separate sentence as they get further from the point of that sentence.  Some people may even think less of the intelligence of a person who uses only short sentences.  However, Klingons are, by nature, more direct and they prefer short clear sentences.  Any time you find yourself unable to figure out how to include some clause in a Klingon sentence, you are probably better off breaking the idea into two sentences.

That being said, many of the same tools that exist for English run-on sentences also exist to create Klingon run-on sentences.  First and foremost being the sentence conjunctions ('ej, 'ach, pagh, qoj), but also everything in section 6.2 of TKD.  To answer your question directly, there is no actual limit to Klingon sentence length and someone could expand a sentence indefinitely if they so chose.  However, they would probably sacrifice a lot of clarity and any Klingons listening to them would probably quickly come to suspect that the person was trying to hide something from them.  There's a chance they might not get very far before the sentence would be ended for them (if you know what I mean).

janSIy