[Tlhingan-hol] thIngan Hol yejHaD Degh qun

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 05:06:39 PDT 2015

Don't worry, qunnoQ, you are still a beginner, but I found your attempt
surprisingly good, you're definitely on the right track to mastering the
warrior's tongue!

A few tips, though:
* {qaStaHvIS x} literally means "while x was/is/will be happening", and is
used for more complicated time stamps. So usually it just means "during x"
or "when x happened"

* Klingon has some compound words like HolQeD (languagescience, i.e.
linguistics), but most often when you see something attached to the end of
a word that you've identified, it is probably a suffix. When I was a
beginner, I always referred to the alphabetical list of affixes in the end
of TKD ('The Klingon Dictionary', I'm sure you know by now), that helped a
lot, and after a while I didn't need to do that anymore. :) So, where you
identified "to farm" and saw that it didn't make any sense, you should have
identified it as a suffix. De'vID already gave you the meaning.

* also always keep in mind the word order of Klingon: OVS, with anything
adverbial coming at the front and the verb always agreeing with the subject
and the object. Modifying "Adjectives" (really actually verbs) follow the
nouns, but modifying nouns (as in N N constructions) as well as numbers
precede them. Keeping that in mind immensely helps deciphering Klingon and
writing in it oneself.

* translation attempts aren't in vain, it not only helps you remember the
vocabulary, but also to see how experiences speakers use the language. You
might have come across problems that you couldn't solve, e.g. I was
perplexed about the lack of a word for "with" and "without"  back in the
days when I started, and I tried to misuse suffixes for that... but then I
read some Klingon text and tried to see how it actually worked and found
out how. That was very helpful.

Not bad! Not bad at all! :)
- André