[Tlhingan-hol] Outdated vocabulary/grammar

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:39:03 PDT 2015

ghItlhpu' loghaD, jatlh:
> I believe "outdated vocabulary" refers to instances where we have
> made up new constructions to express things that we did not have
> vocabulary for previously.

> For example, Rohan recently mentioned that thanks to the addition of
> canonical words for "gold" and "lead", he could update his translation
> of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", which he had previously called
> {baS 'ugh} ("heavy metal") and {baS SuD} ("yellow/green/blue
 metal")
> and not been too pleased with it.

FWIW I'll throw my opinion in behind SuStel and loghaD that yes, I think this is what you'll be thinking of, qunnoQ. What we call gold can be *described* as {baS SuD} in Klingon, but it's somewhat vague and clumsy (brass is also yellow, but has very different connotations) and to get rid of vagueness you need to be more clumsy ({waghbogh 'ej SuDbogh baS}?). The fact that we now have {qol'om} to refer specifically to gold means that there's no longer a need for the circumlocution.

Let me reassure you that Klingon grammar and vocabulary, in and of themselves, don't become obsolete - in general, what is printed in the first edition of TKD is still considered just as valid Klingon as an email Marc sent to one of us last week. It may be clarified, updated, or explained in the meantime, but it's never discarded outright. What changes is just the way each individual might put together our ideas with the building blocks given to us in canon. And since new words are being revealed all the time, the ways we work out to express things might change too - which is a fun experience.

QeS 'utlh