[Tlhingan-hol] News from Maltz: Chemistry

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:24:07 PDT 2015

ghItlhpu' 'antlhe', jatlh:
> I think I have an idea who Shirley Silver *might* be... Remember that MO used
> to work on Mutsun, a North American Indian language from California?
> Well, there seems to be a linguist with that name working on the same area –
> perhaps they knew each other?

majQa', André! Well spotted. Marc does (or at least did) indeed know Shirley Silver; she appears in the acknowledgments of his PhD thesis on the grammar of Mutsun.

Also on the California connection, I think that fits for {qol'om} "gold" as well. The great California Gold Rush, widely accepted to have begun in 1848, was triggered by a fellow named James W. Marshall who discovered gold at a property in the Californian town of Coloma.

QeS 'utlh