[Tlhingan-hol] chabal (was Re: Things missing)

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 22:02:18 PDT 2015

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> I wrote “wish.”

Heh, rather more straightforward!

taH:
> But then the difference between “desiderata” and “wish” is principally register, right?

Principally, yep. I suppose I went for "desiderata" on the basis of Quvar saying that it was explicitly things wished for (Dochmey'e' luneHlu'bogh), whereas "wish" could conceivably refer not only to a thing wished for, but also an act of wishing: as in a genie granting you three wishes, or making a wish over a birthday cake. But yes, "wish" would be a great gloss too, I expect.

QeS