[Tlhingan-hol] A question on aspect

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Oct 25 14:11:48 PDT 2015

If I were to hear {nughoStaHpu'}, I’d assume the speaker started to say {nughoStaH} and then circumstances changed and {nughoSpu’} became a more reasonable thing to say.  Like if someone said, “It will be ready this afternoon evening.”  The two things contradict, so I assume the second one is a correction.

I say {nughoSpu’taH} to myself I imagine that I was saying {nughoSpu’} because I thought it was over, and then realize mid-word that they were still coming.

If you want to say that something that is now finished was ongoing at some point, then just say when it happened:

wa’Hu’ nughoStaH. -- Yesterday they were approaching us.

wa’Hu’ nughoStaH ghIq nujuSpu’.  – Yesterday they were approaching us and then they had passed us.

wa’leS nughoSpu’. – Tomorrow they will have approached us.

- Qov