[Tlhingan-hol] A question on aspect

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:31:28 PDT 2015

See the suffixes {-ta’} and {-lI’}. They mean what you suggest, with the added potential of suggesting intent.

In other words, if you are saying that something was happening for a while and then it ended, use {-lI’}. That’s what it means.

If you want additionally to say that something was happening, and that action was an effort toward an intentional goal, and then the goal was reached (and so the action stopped), then use {-ta’}.

You can use time stamps to suggest the moment that the action stops.

wa’leS, Qu’wIj vItoy’ta'.

Tomorrow, I will (quite intentionally) complete the service of my mission.

wa’Hu’ tlhuHlI’ jaghwI’.

Yesterday, my enemy stopped breathing.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably