[Tlhingan-hol] Qualification

Christopher Kidder-Mostrom cokidder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:31:12 PDT 2015

As qurgh points out, but doesn't say directly.  Klingon doesn't have
tenses.  It uses aspect suffixes to accomplish something akin to tenses,
but they aren't always necessary so much as context is.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> in hol.kag.org,as well as in TKD,on qualification the following examples
>> are given :
>>
>> jIyajchu' I understand clearly (yaj understand)
>> baHchu' he/she fired (the torpedo) perfectly (baHfire [a torpedo]
>>
>> i would like to ask why in the second example the translation is given in
>> the past tense,while in the first example the translation is in the present
>> tense.
>>

> The second sentence could also be translated "He fires the torpedo
> perfectly" or "He will fire the torpedo perfectly". Likewise the first
> sentence could be translated "I will understand clearly" and "I understood
> clearly".
>

>> secondly,in hol.kag.org on the same subject, the following example is
>> given :
>>
>> nepwI' Daba' he/she is obviously lying (nepwI' liar,Da act in the manner
>> of, behave as).
>>
>> the meaning of the sentence {nepwI' Daba'} is given as <<he/she is
>> obviously lying>>. but as it is described,the literal meaning would be
>> closer to <<she is obviously behaving as liar>> wouldn't simply {nepba'} be
>> much closer to the <<he/she is obviously lying>> ?
>>

> I believe he did this because he was trying to avoid using an aspect
> suffix:
>
> {nebpa'} - "He/she/it obviously lies", "He/she/it will obviously lie",
> "He/she/it lied obviously"
>
> To get "He/she/it is obviously lying" I believe you'd need {-taH}:
> {nebba'taH}.
>
> qurgh

*Christopher Kidder-Mostrom*

*Current Projects: *

   - *Drama Critic:* reviewing for *Newcity Magazine*
   <http://www.newcitystage.com>
   - *Director:** Not Now, Darling* at BrightSide Theatre, February 19 -
   March 6, 2016
- *Board Member:* Illinois Theatre Association - Professional Division Rep

<http://www.christopherokidder.com>