[Tlhingan-hol] Canon: Associate Producer

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 06:29:46 PDT 2015

As Okrand explained, English has no soft onset for vowel-first syllables, so, unless you speak Hawaiian like a native, you don't know what soft onset sounds like or feels like because you've never done it or heard it during your language-formative years. It's like trying to explain "L"s and "R"s to someone who has exclusively spoken languages that lack them, or like explaining the difference between "pin" and "pen" to someone who speaks a dialect that pronounces them exactly alike. The difference is smaller to his ear than the difference between two different people saying "pen", so he can't hear which of the two words anyone is saying.

English starts vowel-first syllables with a glottal stop. Deal with it.

My wife pronounces "where" and "wear" exactly alike and thinks my pronunciation of "where" is sufficiently alien to her to be no end of amusement. She pronounces "why" like the letter "Y". It leaves me wondering why she doesn't pronounce "who" as "woo". When I point that out, she becomes puzzled. She never thought about that until I pointed it out, then she just declares "That's just how it is," and avoids thinking about it further, since she prefers to think that her pronunciation is generally better than mine, when there is a difference.

She also thinks that if a man says something in a forest and there is no woman there to hear him, yes, he is still wrong.

Sent from my iPad
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv