[Tlhingan-hol] HuS

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 23 02:13:53 PST 2015

Am 23.11.2015 um 10:28 schrieb De'vID:
> De'vID:
>>> Does anyone have statistics on the could-be-subject-could-be-object
>>> verbs? I think there aren't that many of them (a few dozen at most?),

In the Klingon Wiki, someone has made a list of "questionable" verbs:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/QuestionableVerbs

>> Nor have I, so I can't say too much on that. I have wondered whether {pep}
>> "raise" is one of these, but "raise" is rare as an intransitive in English
>> and it seems to me more likely that it probably means "[agent] X raises
>> [patient] Y".

Remembering the Star Trek background, it may b related to the phrase
"raise shields".

>>> We know that the subject of {vIH} moves by its definition: "move, be
>>> in motion". (Wouldn't it have been nice if {HuS} had been "hang, be
>>> hanging"?)

Maybe Okrand has heard of the German executioner names "Huss", who liked
to hang people?

Gerneally spoken, we can NEVER assume how a verb works simply based on
hhow it makes sense or is logic from a Terran point of view. Remember
that Okrand often like making fun of that, intentionally having words
working opposite of what one may expect.

rIn.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh