[Tlhingan-hol] HuS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 01:28:01 PST 2015

De'vID:
>> Does anyone have statistics on the could-be-subject-could-be-object
>> verbs? I think there aren't that many of them (a few dozen at most?),
>> though I haven't made any effort to actually go through the word list
>> and count them.

QeS 'utlh:
> Nor have I, so I can't say too much on that. I have wondered whether {pep}
> "raise" is one of these, but "raise" is rare as an intransitive in English
> and it seems to me more likely that it probably means "[agent] X raises
> [patient] Y".

Sometimes, when a Klingon word/sounds looks like an English word, I
don't know if it inspired Okrand or if it's just a coincidence, but
for what it's worth, the word "pep" means "to raise one's spirits", as
in a "pep talk" or a "pep rally". If that's not a coincidence, it
suggests "raise" is transitive.

De'vID:
>> We know that the subject of {vIH} moves by its definition: "move, be
>> in motion". (Wouldn't it have been nice if {HuS} had been "hang, be
>> hanging"?)

I should've added, 'or "hang, hang something up".' Either way.

QeS 'utlh:
> Well, all we have by way of definition is "hang (v)"; the absence of a
> clarifying gloss doesn't mean anything. :)

Do'Ha'.

De'vID:
>> We know {meQ} and {So'} can be both because we have canon examples of
>> both.

QeS 'utlh:
> The other one I know off the top of my head is {pegh}, both "be secret" and
> "keep secret", but I'm sure a few others exist.

{ghom} was explicitly explained as working both ways in HolQeD 7:4.

{mev} and {tagh} have been used both ways in canon as well.

Here's a weird one: {Don} "be parallel, go parallel to"

Marc Okrand explained (at qepHom 2014) that the subjects of this verb
are (or are going) parallel to each other. However, {HeDon} suggests
that it can be used as an adjective, or perhaps had been at one point
and {HeDon} is a fossilised form.