[Tlhingan-hol] HuS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 02:38:53 PST 2015

QeS 'utlh:
>>> Nor have I, so I can't say too much on that. I have wondered whether
>>> {pep}
>>> "raise" is one of these, but "raise" is rare as an intransitive in
>>> English
>>> and it seems to me more likely that it probably means "[agent] X raises
>>> [patient] Y".

Quvar:
> Remembering the Star Trek background, it may b related to the phrase "raise
> shields".

That's a very good point. Searching through the Star Trek TOS scripts,
by far the most common use of "raise" was *not* "raise shields", but
"raise [someone] on a communications channel or device". That's
probably one of the least common meanings of "raise" in English
outside of very specific contexts (military, aviation, boating, etc.),
but a commonplace meaning in the world of Star Trek.