[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: multiple locatives

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 01:33:52 PST 2015

De'vID [quoting TKD]:
>> Unlike other nouns, these three words are never followed by the
>> locative suffix.  (Note that {pa'} "thereabouts" and {pa'} "room" are
>> identical in sound; {pa'Daq,} however, can mean only "in/to the
>> room.")

fata irae:
> I am mildly confused by this.  What makes -vo' different from -Daq' in this
> context?  Is it that -Daq' is ~labeled~ as the locative?  Or does this imply
> that you can come 'from' there abouts, but not 'to' there abouts?  (as
> always, I'm willing to accept this if so, but it would imply interesting
> socio-linguistic permutations on klingon).

That quote comes from the section on {-Daq}, which is referred to as
the "locative" suffix there. Also, the sentence {naDevvo' yIghoS}
appears in TKD, showing that {naDev} can take {-vo'}.

It's just a rule. Those three words are never followed by {-Daq}.
There's no given reason for this, it's just how it works.