[Tlhingan-hol] HuS

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 03:10:48 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Does anyone have statistics on the could-be-subject-could-be-object
> verbs? I think there aren't that many of them (a few dozen at most?),
> though I haven't made any effort to actually go through the word list
> and count them.

Nor have I, so I can't say too much on that. I have wondered whether {pep} "raise" is one of these, but "raise" is rare as an intransitive in English and it seems to me more likely that it probably means "[agent] X raises [patient] Y".

taH:
> We know that the subject of {vIH} moves by its definition: "move, be
> in motion". (Wouldn't it have been nice if {HuS} had been "hang, be
> hanging"?)

Well, all we have by way of definition is "hang (v)"; the absence of a clarifying gloss doesn't mean anything. :)

taH:
> We know {meQ} and {So'} can be both because we have canon examples of both.

The other one I know off the top of my head is {pegh}, both "be secret" and "keep secret", but I'm sure a few others exist.

QeS 'utlh