[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC : Sentences as objects

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:03:43 PST 2015

On 19 November 2015 at 09:13, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
>
> DopDaq = on/at the side
> qul = fire
> yIchenmoH = you create (imp.)
> QobDI' = when/as soon as it is dangerous
> ghu' = situation
>
> I can't figure out what this sentence is supposed to mean..

It's a proverb, and like with many proverbs, its literal meaning isn't
so directly related to what the speaker means in any particular
context. In particular, it's what's called a "replacement proverb".
These are a set of phrases that Klingons say after committing an
error. (In similar situations, a Terran might say "excuse me",
"pardon", "sorry", and so on.)

You have all the parts there. Put them together, and see what you get.