[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Nov 18 12:30:52 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:11 PM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
> > So something like this would be fine?
> >
> > nujwIjDaq HIvje'vo' HIq vIqang
> > I pour the alcohol (away) from the cup to my mouth (To my mouth, away
> from
> > the cup, I pour the alcohol)
>
> I'd accept that, but just barely. In KGT, {qang} is said to mean "pour
> into", which to me seems to imply transfer from one container to
> another. The related term {lIch} (approximately "pour out") might be
> more appropriate.

So it would be better split into two clauses to accurately describe pouring
a liquid from one container to another?

HIvje'vo' HIq vIlIchtaHvIS nujwIjDaq vIqang
While I pour out the ale away from the cup, I pour it in to my mouth

> By the way, KGT also uses the phrase "...drink...from the {bal}",
> giving at least a little support for {HIvje'vo' tlhutlh}.

Thanks. I re-read this section. It's unfortunate that MO doesn't include an
example of how to say "I drink directly from the {bal}".

Looking at it from the other direction, if {puchDaq HIq vI'em} would be
acceptable then I guess {puchvo' bIQ tlhutlh targh} would be too since they
are both describing actions moving around instead of locations (although
the first example could be confused for "In the toilet, I vomit ale").

qurgh