[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Nov 18 12:00:18 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:11 PM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
> So something like this would be fine?
>
> nujwIjDaq HIvje'vo' HIq vIqang
> I pour the alcohol (away) from the cup to my mouth (To my mouth, away from
> the cup, I pour the alcohol)

I'd accept that, but just barely. In KGT, {qang} is said to mean "pour
into", which to me seems to imply transfer from one container to
another. The related term {lIch} (approximately "pour out") might be
more appropriate.

By the way, KGT also uses the phrase "...drink...from the {bal}",
giving at least a little support for {HIvje'vo' tlhutlh}.

> To me, these still seem to be locations marked to describe where the action
> is taking place.

The locative suffix {-Daq} can describe where the action takes place,
but it can also describe where the action is directed toward. The
ablative suffix { -vo'} describes where the action is directed from,
not necessarily where it actually happens.

> BTW, I think {tIS} was meant to be {taS}.

bIlugh. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

-- ghunchu'wI'