[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 18 12:39:15 PST 2015

On 11/18/2015 3:00 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:11 PM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
>> So something like this would be fine?
>>
>> nujwIjDaq HIvje'vo' HIq vIqang
>> I pour the alcohol (away) from the cup to my mouth (To my mouth, away from
>> the cup, I pour the alcohol)
>
> I'd accept that, but just barely. In KGT, {qang} is said to mean "pour
> into", which to me seems to imply transfer from one container to
> another. The related term {lIch} (approximately "pour out") might be
> more appropriate.

In his sentence, his mouth was acting as the target container. Assuming
we're allowed to read the {-Daq} as "to" instead of "at," then his
sentence is correct. {lIch} could be used as well.

Where does the definition "approximately 'pour out'" come from? KGT has
"pour (into/onto anything)" and I'm not sure where else the word has
been used.

http://trimboli.name