[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Nov 18 11:11:37 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Fatairae <fatairae at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   HIvje'vo' vItlhutlh :  From the cup, I drink (it)
>
> There's an idiom: {latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!} Literally,
> "pour the cold bloodwine into another glass!" It means something like
> "I don't accept what you claim. Try telling somebody else."
>
> Since we can express pouring something *into* a cup with {-Daq}, I
> don't see any reason to oppose describing pouring something *out of* a
> cup with {-vo'}. If you can {HIvje'vo' tIS qang}, then I don't see why
> you can't {HIvje'vo' tIS nge'} in another manner such as drinking,
> throwing, sucking through a straw, propelling with carbonation, etc.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

So something like this would be fine?

nujwIjDaq HIvje'vo' HIq vIqang
I pour the alcohol (away) from the cup to my mouth (To my mouth, away from
the cup, I pour the alcohol)

To me, these still seem to be locations marked to describe where the action
is taking place.

BTW, I think {tIS} was meant to be {taS}.

qurgh