[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 18 11:06:52 PST 2015

Fatairae <fatairae at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   HIvje'vo' vItlhutlh :  From the cup, I drink (it)

ghunchu'wI':
> There's an idiom: {latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!} Literally, "pour
> the cold bloodwine into another glass!" It means something like "I don't
> accept what you claim. Try telling somebody else."
>
> Since we can express pouring something *into* a cup with {-Daq}, I don't
> see any reason to oppose describing pouring something *out of* a cup with
> {-vo'}. If you can {HIvje'vo' tIS qang}, then I don't see why you can't
> {HIvje'vo' tIS nge'} in another manner such as drinking, throwing, sucking
> through a straw, propelling with carbonation, etc.

An example from the paq'batlh specifically translated "out of" rather than "away from":

'Iw bIQtIqvo' toS SuvwI' yoH puH QaDDaq paw
The fearless warrior climbs out of the blood onto dry land. PB

It's not completely unambiguous however, as this is literally "he climbs from the River of Blood".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons