[Tlhingan-hol] Heghmey

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 07:19:45 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Will Martin <lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was confused when I first read the initial message. What I eventually
realized was that you seemed to be using {-lu’} when you intended to use
{-pu’}. With that replacement, everything started to make sense.

> It makes less sense with {-moHlu’}.
>
> When there is confusion, it’s probably good to break out into English
when discussing corrections. The cat died, right? There is no implication
that someone killed the cat. {Heghpu’ vighro’}, right?

> You were placing nouns in the subject position and then using {-lu’} on
the verb, which means the subject is indefinite (Okrand’s term — It might
be clearer to think of it as “unknown”). So, you can’t have a noun as a
subject of a verb that has {-lu’} on it.

I was thinking that "cat" was the object of "die" with an unknown subject.

And no, I have no current reason to believe that someone killed the cat,
though the exact cause remains unknown.
She had been missing and we found her on the side of the road.

I may have been initially thinking with {HoH} and then changing to {Hegh}
when I realized that was a better fit.
Is {vIghro' HoHlu'} correct, then?

~naHQun

--