[Tlhingan-hol] Establishing a BG

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:23:04 PST 2015

Email is a remarkably bad resource for making a decision. Why don’t we just arbitrarily choose a Beginners’ Grammarian (BG) and let them try to impress us with the quality of their work (as the earlier BGs did) and their dedication to the task. If we like the job they are doing, then they get to be BG. If we don’t like the job they are doing, then we thank them for trying and appoint another BG.

By doing it this way, we’ll actually get a functioning BG, likely weeks, or months, or maybe even YEARS faster than we will if we keep discussing it and hope that somehow out of the discussion, we will have made some kind of group decision as to who should, in fact, be the new BG?

I saw at least one volunteer in a recent message. If the offer is sincere, I suggest a bolder, “Let me do this job and I’ll make you proud of me!” message. This works better with Klingons than a, “I think that maybe I’m willing to sort of act like a BG if you guys don’t mind too much and if you don’t think that someone else could do it better,” message.

Invest some gusto. Consider it an audition for the kind of confidence you are willing to present to the new speakers.

And if you get swept aside, don’t take it as an insult. Just wait your turn if someone else manages to get the position before you do.

It’s only a matter of time before they get burned out like the rest of us did. Then YOU get to be the BG, with their happy support (so they don’t have to do it anymore).

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv