[Tlhingan-hol] povjajwIj

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 5 20:47:24 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> {juH vIchegh} 'e' vImaS. There's some contradiction in the canon about
> how to specify the destination of {chegh}. But this was clarified in
> this email:
> http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-07-19b-email.txt
> {juHDaq jIchegh} is ambiguous and can mean either "I return home" or
> "I return at home (I return somewhere, while inside my house)".

vIjangpu' jIH, jIjatlh:
> Not quite. {juHDaq jIchegh} isn't actually ambiguous, and means only the
> latter: "I return, while inside my house". For "I return home" (that is, "I
> return *to* the house"), the sentence must actually be either {juH vIchegh}
> or {juHDaq vIchegh}, in both instances with the pronominal prefix {vI-}.
> With verbs of motion like {chegh} and {jaH} and {'el}, the pronominal prefix
> is the important part in disambiguating the meaning (use of the superfluous
> {-Daq} is a marked but grammatical variant in the {vIchegh} form).

jang je De'vID, jatlh:
> According to that article, you're right. But as I said, there's some
> contradiction in the canon.
> In Power Klingon, we have {ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh?} (not {vIchegh})
> and {naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?} (not {wIjaH}). Maybe others will
> be able to come up with other examples from canon.

The first is from CK, but yes, a good point well taken.

The concern for me here is more that we have an explicit explanation from Marc of what the rule is. If that exists, I feel we should treat that as the prescriptive model to follow when composing our own Klingon, and since qunnoQ is a relative beginner (all respect intended, qunnoQ!), now's the time to work on best practice. We know canon doesn't always quite follow the prescriptive rules - {'e' reH lunIDtaH} from S26 is a perfect example of that. The other thing on my mind was I just wanted to let qunnoQ know that {juHDaq vIchegh} is, though counterintuitive on its face, also a perfectly fine option.

QeS 'utlh