[Tlhingan-hol] povjajwIj

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:30:04 PST 2015

De'vID:
>> {juH vIchegh} 'e' vImaS. There's some contradiction in the canon about
>> how to specify the destination of {chegh}. But this was clarified in
>> this email:
>> http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-07-19b-email.txt
>> {juHDaq jIchegh} is ambiguous and can mean either "I return home" or
>> "I return at home (I return somewhere, while inside my house)".

QeS 'utlh:
> Not quite. {juHDaq jIchegh} isn't actually ambiguous, and means only the
> latter: "I return, while inside my house". For "I return home" (that is, "I
> return *to* the house"), the sentence must actually be either {juH vIchegh}
> or {juHDaq vIchegh}, in both instances with the pronominal prefix {vI-}.
> With verbs of motion like {chegh} and {jaH} and {'el}, the pronominal prefix
> is the important part in disambiguating the meaning (use of the superfluous
> {-Daq} is a marked but grammatical variant in the {vIchegh} form).
>
> From HolQeD 7.4 (http://klingonska.org/canon/1998-12-holqed-07-4.txt), where
> the syntax of verbs of motion is discussed: [poD]

According to that article, you're right. But as I said, there's some
contradiction in the canon.

In Power Klingon, we have {ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh?} (not {vIchegh})
and {naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?} (not {wIjaH}). Maybe others will
be able to come up with other examples from canon.

I think what happened is that Marc Okrand either got confused or
changed his mind between the production of Power Klingon and that
HolQeD article. If the context is clear, I'll accept {juHDaq jIchegh}
to mean "I return home", though I prefer to write {juH vIchegh} myself
as it's unambiguous.