[Tlhingan-hol] The sleeping dog

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Nov 5 07:22:37 PST 2015

An illustration of the difference between {ghIq] and {ngugh}:

{jISop. ghIq jIQong.}

= "I eat. Then I sleep."

This specifies that first I eat, and then I sleep. In a way, {ghIq} could be translated as "immediately afterwards".

{wa'leS SaghomlaHbe'. ngugh jIvumnIS.}
= "I can't  meet y'all tomorrow. I'll need to work then."

{cha'leS qatlh bIDach?]

{ngugh jIrop.}

= "Why were you absent yesterday?

"I was sick then."

To put it another way: {ngugh} is the time equivalent of {pa'} ("there").

nuqDaq? pa'! ("Where? There?")

ghorgh? ngugh! ("When? Then!")