[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the {'e'} topic suffix

qunnoQ HoD mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:11:36 PST 2015

having just finished studying the pronouns,along with the {'e'} topic
suffix,I can't help but wonder the following..

lets take these two examples,along with their given translations :

puqpu' chaH qama'pu"e' The prisoners are children.
pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la"e' The commander is in his quarters.

As i understood the {'e'} means <<that>> ; so the above translations should
be

the prisoners that are children (implying that there are prisoners too,who
aren't children)
the commander that is in his quarters (implying that there is another
commander as well,who isn't in his quarters)

alternatively (because i didn't quite understand,to whom the {'e'} is
supposed to be shoved) the aforementioned translations could be modified
as..

the children that are prisoners (implying that there are children,who
aren't prisoners)
the quarters that have the commander within them (implying that there are
quarters.that don't have a commander inside)

I'm confused by all these alternate possibilities.. Could someone please
enlighten me ?