[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Affix of the Day: -chuq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 4 07:09:11 PST 2015

Karen wanted more examples.  Here’s a quick unformatted dump from my notes:

(TKD 36):  "This suffix is used only with plural subjects. It is translated each other or one another. The prefix set indicating "no object" is also used when this suffix is used: maqIpchuq we hit each other, SuqIpchuq you (plural) hit each other, qIpchuq they hit each other, peqIpchuq hit each other!"

(st.k 11/97):  "Since -moH is a Type 4 suffix, if a suffix of Type 1, 2, or 3 is to be used (such as -chuq each other [Type 1] or -nIS need [Type 2]), it would precede the Type 4 -moH; for example, pujchuqmoH they weaken each other..."

(KGT 158):  "If one wanted to say that two persons collide but not imply that they butt heads, the verb ngeQ would probably be used along with the suffix -chuq (each other) as in ngeQchuq tera'nganpu' (The Terrans collide with each other)."

(Will Martin’s interview with Mark Okrand, HQ Dec. 1998:9-10):
  "WM: And could I say maSumchuq?
   MO: No. You'd just say bISum or SuSum. If you haven't, in the course of the conversation, set things up otherwise, it's assumed that the event being talked about is taking place where the speaker is."

 - ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
   The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

- maja'chuqjaj?
   Can we talk? PK

- 'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq
   We will talk after dinner. PK

- ghobchuq loDnI'pu'
   "The Brothers Battle One Another" (i.e. the Kahless and Morath statuette) KCD

- Hay'chuq
   They duel one another. KGT

- Hay'chuqchu'
   They duel one another to the death. KGT

- ghomchuqqa' loDnI'pu' vav je
   [translation wanting] PB

- vanchuq luqara' joH qeylIS je
   Lady Lukara and Kahless, they said their goodbyes PB

- QIStaq 'emDaq jenchoH jul, yor DungDaq Salta'DI' tagh HarghchuqmeH poH
   The sun rises high behind the Kri'stak, when it rises over its top, it is time to do battle. PB

- yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
   Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments. (Sonnet 116)

 - DoyIchlanDaq ghomchuqbogh tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'pu' – Savan!
   (MO qepHom 2013 greetings [untranslated])

> Sorry if I am out of line for suggesting this, but I was just thinking that it would be extremely help for beginners (well, for me anyway) to see words/affixes of the day used in an example sentence.  it would sort of make learning easier and less daunting. Sort of to give it more context, and aid in memorizing all the vocab.
> If that's not ok, don't worry.

These are the notes I have on {-chuq}:

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.