[Tlhingan-hol] New word from MO: {jIr} (excl) "Big deal!"

zrajm zrajm at klingonska.org
Wed Nov 4 02:31:03 PST 2015

On Saturday during the Saarbrücken {qepHom} we went to a pub and there
was drinking and dancing going on. We'd all had a beer or two, and
things were spinning in general. At some point during the conversation
Marc Okrand exclaimed that {jIr} means "Whoop-dee-doo!" or
"La-dee-dah!" (something one says to express that one is not exactly
impressed by what some other speaker has just said).

Initially he insisted that this expression always goes together with a
gesture in which you point at the ceiling, then move your hand in a
rotating motion. Later (day afterwards, less influenced by beer?) he
later changed his mind on this, saying that just saying {jIr} is
alright.

My assumption was that this rotating hand motion has a similar meaning
in America (?), and that the use of the word {jIr} was inspired by
this.

For my dictionary I wrote:

    {jIr} (excl) "Whoop-dee-doo!, La-dee-dah!, Who cares?!, Big deal!"
    /Marc Okrand in conversation (qepHom 14, October 31, 2015)

Marc had a look at that, suggested some spelling improvements
(incorporated above) but said that it otherwise looked okay.

/zrajm, Klingonska Akademien