[Tlhingan-hol] Comment on transliteration WAS: Defiant

kechpaja at comcast.net kechpaja at comcast.net
Tue Nov 3 08:17:06 PST 2015

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 10:59, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> On 11/3/2015 10:43 AM, Brent Kesler wrote:
>>
>> I deliberately chose a midway strategy: try to stick close to
>> the original, but don't make it too difficult for a hypothetical Klingon
>> to make sense of. So "Gaza" became {ghaSa} rather than {gha'Sa'}. Both
>> are fine choices, but I wanted to emphasize the foreignness of the name.
>
> Personally, I think most people overuse the {'} in transliterations.

In this particular case, though, it would probably be a good idea to keep at least the final {'}, since the original Arabic word for "Gaza" ends in a glottal stop (and incidentally also starts with a voiced velar fricative, so {ghaSa'} is arguably closer to the original pronunciation than the English is).