[Tlhingan-hol] Multiple Adverbials (was Re: Piraha)

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 05:42:11 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' qunnoQ, jatlh:
> this may be like an tiny/insignificant volkswagen beetle, trying to
> take part at a ferrari/lamborghini exhibition, but still I would like
> to ask why we said {vagh rep ret} instead of {vagh repmey ret}..

not yItlhobvIp! (Never be afraid to ask questions!)

Firstly, remember that a Klingon noun without an overt plural suffix (that is, {-pu'}, {-Du'}, or {-mey}) can pretty much always be either singular or plural depending on context (TKD section 3.3.2, p.21-22). Then check out TKD section 5.2, on "Numbers". On p.54, it says: "The plural suffixes ({-pu', -mey}) are not necessary when a number is used." In other words, either {loS puqpu'} or {loS puq} is okay for "four children". In the same way, {vagh rep ret} means the same thing as {vagh repmey ret}. Because there's an explicit numeral telling you how many things there are (in this case, five), the plural suffix isn't necessary.

Dayaj'a'?

QeS 'utlh