[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

DloraH seruq at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 2 17:48:23 PST 2015

> I,am a beginner ; currently I'm studying TKD,and as soon as I
> finish I will start reading -slowly- other publications (tao
> te ching,gilgamesh,carols etc).  In which of the Kliingon
> books published so far (aforementioned plus hamlet and much
> ado) is the translation as strictly literal as possible ?
>

> If i start reading books where the translation is poetic,then
> I will be confused since I'm a beginner,and will not know
> whether I'm wrong or the translation is given somewhat in a
> more free manner..

The first batch of ghIlghameS (hard cover) was printed in Klingon only.  When we made the paperback,
I back-translated the English from the Klingon.  It's not completely literal, but it is closer,
because I didn't have an "original English" version that I had to stick to.
The Klingon and English lines up pretty much line-for-line.

In another email recently, there was a short discussion about new vocabulary, and "outdated"
vocabulary.  When reading ghIlghameS, remember that it was done in the late 90's.  We have since
then received several words that would have been useful in that translation.

- DloraH