[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:46:28 PST 2015

Actually, {tugh batlh Heghmo’} means “because he soon dies honorably”. It’s not a sentence. It’s a dependent clause. The {-mo’} applies to the death, not the honor; to the verb, not the noun, and there is no noun because {batlh} here is used as an adverbial, not as a noun. There are two different words spelled and pronounced {batlh}. One is a noun. The other is an adverbial.

And while Quvar valer ‘utlh may consider {vaj} to be a conjunction, TKD lists it as an adverbial. While we often use it as a conjunction, we probably err when we do so. Likely, we should be using periods in front of it instead of commas.

Technically, it’s an adverbial beginning the conclusion following from evidence in the previous sentence or multiple sentences. I know of no evidence of it being used as a conjunction in canon.

Of course, there are people here who know canon far better than I do, and I may be, yet again, providing something that requires correction, providing educational resources more valuable than my original suggestion…

It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv