[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 12:33:40 PST 2015

I just want to make it clear to the newcomers here that {-mo’}, in this example, is a verb suffix and it always is connected to the verb. It cannot float to the end of the dependent clause, as this punctuation suggests. If the example were “because perhaps soon Kruge will die honorably”, we would not say <<chaq tugh Hegh Qugh>>mo’. We’d say {chaq tugh Heghmo’ Qugh}.

The type 9 verb suffix gives what would otherwise be its own sentence a grammatical function in a larger sentence with a single main verb. In this case, there are three dependent clauses with one main verb. The main sentence is “They celebrate.” When do they celebrate? When Kahless stops that he speaks; when he stops speaking. Why do they celebrate? Because perhaps soon they may die honorably and/or because perhaps soon they may conquer (someone).

I see what you are trying to explain here, but I’m concerned that this style of punctuation may lead newcomers to expect that the Type 9 verb suffix somehow floats to the last word in the phrase, whether it’s a verb or not, and this is not the case.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv