[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:48:29 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the initial question was, but these examples do not show
> a real answer, in my opinion. All of the multiple adverbials are actually
> time stamps plus adverb, so not really "TWO" adverbs.

I was under the impression that a time stamp was the use of a noun of time
in the adverbial position, as in {wa'Hu' vIlegh} "I saw him yesterday."
{tugh} and {reH} are adverbials; they're listed with the other adverbials
in TKD.

> The only rule we can see here, is that time stamps come first:
>
> {tugh batlh Heghmo’}
> "soon he dies with honor"
>
> {reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH}
> "they always fight with honor"
>
> I don't see two adverbials here, unless you see vaj as one, which I see
> more as a conjunction:

{vaj} is listed with the adverbials in TKD, not with the conjunctions.

> > Hay’chu’ luneHqu’
>
>> vaj pe’vIl joqqu’
>> cha’ tlhIngan tIqDu’
>>

> Any examples with true aderbials or adverbs of the same type??

What is a "true adverbial"? What reason is there to make an arbitrary
grammatical distinction here?