[Tlhingan-hol] Multiple Adverbials (was Re: Piraha)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 2 12:29:40 PST 2015

Okay, I need to explain or clarify why I asked for "true adverbs",
because I sometimes expect to understand people to know what I'm thinking.

As far as I know, and you certainly agree, there are different kinds of
adverbials: Some of them tell WHEN something happens, some tell HOW
something happens.

I believe that Okrand did not think of classifying them like that - to
keep TKD short - so it's still possible that these must have some kind
of order (this need to be verified and proven).

My theory is that adverbs of the same type cannot occur on the same time:
{DaH tugh maSop} makes no sense
{DaH nom maSop} does make sense

 From the "time-stamp" point of view, {DaH} and {tugh} seem to have the
same function as {wa'leS} or {vagh rep ret}: They also cannot be used in
the same time. It makes no sense to say {wa'leS DaH maSop} or {DaH
wa'leS maSop}.

What I mentioned as "true" adverbs (I know the term is wrong) were those
adverbs which describe HOW something happens, in which matter.

So, my question was: Do we have any examples of phrase with multiple
adverbs which are NOT timestamps, and not adverbs which work like {vaj}
referring to the previous phrase?

------

When I compare Okrands examples and think about my theory, then the
following phrase should be theoretically correct:

{vaj DaH batlh maHegh}

I need to think more about the other words to see how much it would make
sense adding those.

All of this is quite theoretical at this time and definitely an advanced
speaker's discussion. I suggest beginners to learn how to say simple
phraes before talking about such a subject.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh