[Tlhingan-hol] Multiple Adverbials (was Re: Piraha)

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:05:42 PST 2015

On one hand, what you suggest makes sense, and anyone following the proposed grammatical rules will definitely be writing in clear, easy-to-understand Klingon.

On the other hand, I’m not sure that your theory is accurate, and think that maybe you are seeing a kind of order which would be really beautiful, were it real, but it might not be real.

I say this as a person who has, many times, thought that I recognized a nice, orderly way for things to work, only to discover that, no, people are not restricted to my idea of what a Klingon sentence should be like. It’s a messy language. It could have been messier, but it could have been more orderly as well.

I suspect that adverbials in Klingon are simply a pile of similarly functional grammatical tools. Maybe there is a consistent sequence to them, or maybe not. Someday, we may be told, but then again, maybe not.

I see {DaH tugh maSop} as being sensible, saying, “Now, we will eat soon.” Making a statement anchored in the “now”, we anticipate eating soon.

{wa'leS DaH maSop}  suggests that tomorrow, we will now eat. Perhaps this time tomorrow, we will eat.

{DaH wa'leS maSop} similarly suggests that right now, we will eat tomorrow. Again, this time tomorrow, we will eat.

Can you think of a better way of saying, “We will eat this time tomorrow,”? Especially if there’s context. We stand together and I point to my watch and say, {DaH wa'leS maSop.} They do have chronometers, after all...

I doubt that Klingon treats adverbials grammatically differently from one another if they answer different questions (why, how, when). A time stamp is a noun. {DaH} is not a noun. I know. That’s weird. But true.

{DaHjaj} is a noun. {DaH} is not. They both tell you the same thing — when — but DaHjaj is a time stamp, and {DaH} is an adverbial, which is not really a time stamp, even if it does exactly the same thing that a time stamp would do.

I think it goes back to deixis. {DaH} is a very specific deictic reference. {DaHjaj} is somewhat more vague, based on the day, rather than on immediacy.

Hmm. Then again, {naDev} is a very similar deictic reference… and it’s a noun. See? I thought I saw order, but I was wrong. It’s SOO tempting.

Like I said, Klingon is a messy language. Try to find TOO much order in it and that way goes madness. There be dragons…

Turn back while there’s still time!

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv