[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Nov 1 07:21:56 PST 2015

On 11/1/2015 5:49 AM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
> 1. a basic rule in Klingon is one main verb per sentence

Not exactly. The difference between a sentence and a verbal clause in
Klingon is largely nonexistent. A verbal clause follows all the rules
that are listed as applying to sentences. Furthermore, the
sentence-as-object construction lets you have one complete sentence be
the object of another complete sentence. And some sentences don't have a
main verb at all.

> 2. in Klingon we can't apply multiple adverbs to a single verb

No, I don't think we know that.

> 3. in Klingon we can't apply adverbs to adjectives

Yes, we can't apply adverbials to verbs acting adjectivally. I use that
terminology because Klingon doesn't technically have adverbs or adjectives.

> 4. in Klingon we tend to think we can’t use two adverbs for a single
> verb, and if we have two adjectives, we should use at least one of them
> as a relative clause, just to avoid stringing them along,confusing people

We don't have any evidence I can think of that lets us use two
adjectival verbs on a single noun.

I prefer to make BOTH qualities into relative clauses, for symmetry.
E.g., {HoSbogh tlhIngan 'ej 'IHbogh} "strong and beautiful Klingon."

http://www.trimboli.name/